Resourceful data scientist and engineer, with a track record of solving real-world business challenges. Experienced in owning and delivering complex projects and working in interdisciplinary teams.
Queen's University - Kingston, ON
Research Associate Oct. 2020 - Present
- Developed ML system to detect tool wear on CNC machines, with potential to save customer $100,000+ per year.
- Applied for (out of own initiave) and won a $15k per annum high-performance computing award, increasing > 150x the computational power available to research team (from 2.4 TFLOPs to 375 TFLOPs).
- Received an Innovation Award, at the IEEE VIS Conference, for research on deep learning models of the Earth’s mantle.
Masters Candidate Sept. 2018 - Sept. 2020
- Developed ETL pipeline for industrial partner increasing pipeline performance 400x.
- Delivered talk on real-world anomaly detection methods within healthcare, astronomy, finance, and manufacturing at the Python Canada conference.
- Thesis: Feature Engineering and End-to-End Deep Learning for Tool Wear Monitoring
Dow Chemical - Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Lead Reliability Engineer Aug. 2011 - Jul. 2018
- Managed reliability program for $6 billion-plus worth of industrial assets. Led multiple projects and initiatives, saving $2.5 million throughout tenure.
- Sold leadership on an optional improvement to a 60,000 HP steam turbine, and subsequently increased profits by $200,000 per year. Led the team and delivered the project on time and under budget, despite signicant risks to production.
- Group leader and coach for 40 professionals at Dow’s career development conference in Houston (3 months total).
Do authors of scientific papers make their code and data available? Building text mining and machine learning tools to find out! (active research) - 2022
- ML & Data Science
- DevOps & Systems
MASc. Mechanical EngineeringQueen's University
2018 - 2020
BSc. Mechanical EngineeringUniversity of Alberta
2006 - 2011